Monday, April 20, 2009

Scrapbooking fills my days - not to mention my living room, bedroom and closets!


In my last blog, I told you that I wanted to do a blog on a love that I got from my Dad, and that is scrapbooking. I spend hours working on my books. Some one has said, "I scrapbook therefore I am - broke." My love for this hobby has led into other forms of paper crafting The ideas I use in scrapping can also be used for card making, and other paper crafts. I love to send a card, I have made, and get deep satisfaction when someone calls me, and tells me they were feeling "down" and out of the blue they receive a card from me. I love that feeling of making someone happy. Because it lifts me up. Am I selfish or not? My love for paper crafting has also found me sharing my talents (or lack there of) in teaching classes. The photo of me below, was a demonstration I gave at Super Saturday last fall. These were gifts with cute sayings decorated with my scrapbooking supplies. I currently have a display of my work in the New Harmony Library--no brag, just fact.

I didn't realize Dad was into scrapbooking until I moved back home and was going through all his scrapbooks. Oh, they weren't decorated, by any means, but he identified most of the people in the albums. Of course, his stuff was not "acid free" (something that drives us scrapbookers up the wall), but they were identified making it so much easier on me, when I transferred them into my books. One of the reasons I took up this hobby was to get my pictures out of boxes, plastic bags, off the floor, you name it. Well, once I started scrapping problems multiplied. A scrapper takes pictures of everything--just ask my MaLynda. Some people are gun shy, she has had so many pictures of her taken, she is camera shy. Go to the bathroom, take a picture, pick your nose, take a picture. Wreck the car, take a picture...well you get the idea. I am further behind now with pictures that need to be scrapped than I ever was before I started.

I have daughters and daughter-in-laws that also scrap. This picture was a taken at MaLynda's birthday party last month. She is enjoying the beautiful book her sisters, Brenda Carling and Kristina Hughes made for her.
How satisfying it is, to this mother, to see her children following in her footsteps--now I can box up all my 100s of photos and pass them on to the girls. That will give me more time to take more pictures of my grand babies--teeheehee.

Thank you Daddy for giving me a love of scrapbooking and finding a creative outlet to share these memories with my family. "A person is neither whole nor healthy without the memories of photo albums. They are the storybook of our lives. They provide a nostalgic escape from the tormented days of the present. " ~Patrick Garry

Want to see a fun site, go here, maybe we both can win....http://themeanestmom.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

  1. Love it, love it, love it! You are quite the talented lady! I can see that your scrapbook pages are alot better than mine. I also love to do things like that, but I don't take as much time as you do. What is the font you haved on top of your dad and his sibblings and what does it say? Darling page! Let me know. I love that font, and don't know what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recording History....Lets see.....That makes me very proud of you.....Good Job Cousin...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful talent to pass down to your children!

    ReplyDelete