The strawberries are red, and ready to pick
I have to get them out of the garden quick
Moaning and groaning as I lift the leaves--
Trying not to get dirt and strawberry juice all over my sleeves.
Three or four berries I toss in to my pan
The next one, I throw in my mouth as fast as I can.
Oh so good, and sweet they taste
I can’t let even one go to waste.
I pick some more,
Wouldn’t it be so much easier to buy them at the store?
Then another I pop in my mouth.
And the thought of going to Walmart heads south.
Nothing taste better than food you have grown,
In your own little garden and all on your own.
The sun is up and I am tired
Into the house I will go before I am fired.
The berries are washed and ready to cook
I really would like to sit down and read a good book.
“Cannot be” I say to myself
As I ask Robert to take the empty pints off the shelf.
All ingredients in order, it is time to begin,
We cannot let laziness win.
The berries are crushed and measured just so
For over- doing it, would be a “No No”
Sure Jell I add, and let it cook until the mixture comes to a boil
This is just the beginning of my hours of toil.
Mix in some sugar before it starts to jell.
Too much or two little, it won’t thicken well.
Another rolling boil as you wait and stir
Let it boil a minute—on this you don’t want to err.
The timer rings, for the bottles you reach
This time it is for the strawberries, but next time it could be for a peach.
I pour the jam real slowly.
The Kerr lids have boiled for 3 minute or more
This is help them to seal, I am sure
Wiping the top of the jar so clean
I have to do this or later the jam will turn green.
I cover the bottle with the flat and a ring
Screwing tightly and waiting anxiously for the jar to ping
Such a beautiful sound to the ear
Because it tells me my jam will be safe for a year.
The kitchen is a mess you can be sure
Jam is every where from the top to the floor.
Does it bother me? you ask
No sir, in the lime-light I bask.
Knowing the strawberries in the summer I did grow
But now I can enjoy them even during the cold and the snow.
YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteYou ARE amazing! Not only do you grow your own strawberries, and make jam out of them, you are a wonderful poet as well. It can't get any better then that!! Love ya. Me or Paula, I'm not sure which, are going to blog about some canning we did yesterday. Keep looking for it.
ReplyDeleteDitto to what Claudine said! Stawberries and a Poem ??....you are more than amazing!
ReplyDelete