Thursday, March 5, 2009

I'm just a small town girl---and proud of it!






Kellie Pickler has a song called "Small Town Girl" which got me thinking again (this blogging business is serious stuff--) about my childhood. Boring as it is to some people (No names mentioned Kristina) I wouldn't trade my childhood in New Harmony for anything.

I grew up where I could see the stars
Drinking Mama's home-made root beer from a Mason jar
Apple trees, golden corn, and waking up to a beautiful New Harmony morn.
Playing Red Rover Red Rover, Kick the Can, or No Bears Out Tonight
Were tons of fun, but nothing beat a good old fashion water fight.

Branding cows to go on Pine Valley
Being waved at by Anthon and Sally
Baling hay with my Dad
Or driving the hay truck and listening to my brothers get mad
A small town girl is fine with me
Nothing beats my life in New Harmony

I'd rather be fishin' down to the creek
Or Hunting for side hill Ding Wompus' with a stick
Then going shopping in the city
for something new and pretty.
A town so small you don't need a map to know where you are at,
And the latest attire included a cowboy hat.

I'd rather ride in the back of Grandpa's truck
Or the dune buggy looking for that prize buck.
A cheeseburger cooked on Lowell's grill
Is fine for me, and gives me a thrill.
Chicken in the Dutch oven with family all around
Makes up for not having a movie theater in town

Root beer and the Big Pine
Dirt roads and an old clothes line
Familiar faces and dandelion bracelets
Friday night pot lucks with an apple pie
Or looking at all the stars in the New Harmony sky.

4th of July races against the Princes and Paces

Eating candy from Aunt Sylva’s store

Never needing a dime or more.

Find a pop bottle, turn it in.

Leave the store with a great big grin.

The smell of the new cut hay

Or dreaming the summer day away

Watching Kolob change its colors every hour

Sometimes, looking like it is on fire.

A small town girl is fine with me
Nothing beats my life in New Harmony


Never a stranger to be found

We we’re the happiest families around.

Everybody was your uncle or aunt

And if they were not, we soon changed that.

Our biggest fear was the frost we may get.

Or the barn getting a lightening hit.

A good rain storm was the talk of the town

In hopes that a flood would come roaring down.


Here in New Harmony we had it made

Our big thrill was the town parade

We didn’t worry about being “politically correct”

We all got along even when our politicians we would elect.

Polly wog hunting, playing marbles, and a Kool aid stands

Are the dreams of every young woman or man

Well, I am happy to say, I had it all,

Even the winter, spring, summer, and the fall.

Yes, a small town girl is fine with me

Nothing beats my life in New Harmony.

4 comments:

  1. I loved this poem. I think you summed up many of the same feelings I have about our great town. Its interesting to me when we HAD to go to school in Cedar we were known as the Valley Rats or the Farm kids, now all those kids who made our lives hell would give anything to live and have the property we have in New Harmony. Like you, I value all of the great memories we were entitled to being from New Harmony, the only bad memories I really have is the way we were treated in Cedar by the high mucky mucks there. Interesting how time has a way of turning things around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't have said it better myself...you have a way with words...I agree with the "old cowboy" when I was in school it was assumed that we all were "farmers" now people ask me, "How did you afford property in New Harmony?" I tell them that I am rich, but not rich in $$$$ :) I wouldn't trade my hometown for all the money in the world.... and by the way~All I can say to those "Wind Farm People" is bring-it-on!!! We will fight to the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great poetry Deanna! I think you would have to grow up here from the 50's to the 70's to really appreciate all that's in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your blogs. I have had a hard time leaving a comment though. I will try again................for the fifth time.

    ReplyDelete