Monday, March 30, 2009

To Our Beautiful Daughter, MaLynda


Twenty one years ago today,

Our beautiful MaLynda came to stay

In Japan she was born

6:00 at night and not in the morn.


Her Dad was at work when the water “broke”

He hurried home, because he knew this was no joke.

MaLynda would be number six

So by now, Mama and Papa Groke knew all the tricks.

“There will be no pains for awhile”,

Mama G said with a smile.


Back to bed to sleep

Until Kristina, a secret she cannot keep,

Ran up the stairs shouting to Kevin, Anngela, Brenda and Steven

That our little baby was coming from heaven.


Off to the sitters four of them did go

Kevin stayed home, by now he was old enough, you know.

Into the hospital I did go

Waddling and dripping to and fro.


No pains yet, not a surprise.

Why it was just barely sunrise.

But come noon I just knew

I would be looking into the face of our Little Bugga-Boo.


Having babies came easy for me,

I was expecting no less from this baby.

However, noon came and went with hardly a pain

And no little baby to rule the Groke domain.


The clock struck 4:00

Things were picking up

Some of the pains we couldn’t interrupt

It would soon be shift change, the bets were on

Would baby Groke be here before the morning shift had gone?


6:00 p.m. and our little one is making this no fun.

With one final push on my stomach, I groaned

And then to my relief another little girl I owned.


MaLynda with her big blue eyes

Had the nurses fighting to hear her cries.

To our relief she let out a scream

She was every mother’s dream

Into our lives came our little 9Lb girl

I tell you, our hearts were awhirl.

You could search the Far East the whole island around

I promise you, not a happier family could be found.


So many brothers and sisters to love her

For her attention they would clamor.

She couldn’t get to sleep, they held her so much

But they just couldn’t get over her sweet little touch.


MaLynda, for 21 years, you have been a dream come true

And now, we want to wish a Happy Birthday to you.

May your day be all that you want and then some

From opening the presents to eating a cake crumb

Our wish to you from us would be

That you will always be happy.

Good night, our dear, we love you so

As you lay your head on the pillow

May all your dreams come true,

And may your Father in Heaven continue watching over you.


We love you sweetheart. Mom and Dad

3 comments:

  1. I was just going to get on your e mail this morning and see what had happened to you. So, I'm glad you didn't dissapoint me. I love your blog and it has been way too long without a post from you. What a darling poem for your daughter. Where does she live? Happy birthday MaLynda!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a good poet. I was impressed with your writing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very impressive! You are quite the poet! Happy Birthday MaLynda, I can't believe you are already so grown!!

    ReplyDelete