
I will let you know right off that I am not going to write about being naked. So now you might be wondering where this is leading, once you find out you will most likely roll your eyes, and think , "Whatever". Today, I am doing something a little (ok, ok, a lot) different). I am going to be talking about America's favorite subject--aprons. My cousin, Brent Prince, does a lot of reminiscing in his blog. I love it, as it brings back so many childhood memories of growing up in New Harmony. One of the things I remember is that the women always wore dresses. It didn't matter if they were going to church or weeding the garden. Of course, if they were weeding, they probably wore an apron. My guess is they had more aprons then dresses. I love the poem I am using as it fit my Grandma Davis through and through. There are many versions of this poem running around now. The origianal author was Tina Trivett. However, I like this one better. I hope it brings back memories to all of you.
Grandma Davis

Grandma's Apron
by C J Heck
Gramma's gone, but not forgotten,
that's her apron hanging there.
It still hangs in Grampa's kitchen.
Sometimes he looks at it and stares.
When Gramma wore her apron
it was magical to see.
The pockets held such treasures
for the grandkids just like me.
Saw it shine up Grampa's fender once
just as pretty as you please,
and it wiped my brother's cheek off
one time when he sneezed.
It took cookies from the oven,
it rushed to wipe a tear,
got a grain of sand out of your eye,
made a lap for the stories we'd hear.
It wiped spills up from the counter top
when she was baking pies,
a symbol of her love and care
and it showed, too, in her eyes.
Sometimes I'm sad to look at it
when I see my Grampa stare.
Gramma's gone, but not forgotten.
That's her apron hanging there.


Read your blog and got a tear or two or three. You brought a few images back to to my mind also. I love the poetry you have used in your last two blogs. Thanks for getting these old brain cells to reconnect to some memories I have not accessed in a long time.
ReplyDeleteBrent
I love that poem. My great grandma always wore an apron and I loved seeing them. My grandma used to but now she can't walk very much so she doesn't put them on anymore. I wish things were still like the "old" days. So much simpler
ReplyDeleteWhat a cute blog! So many things to get you thinking in the poem. It's a keeper. I love your photo too. My daughter, Paula has a cooking blog like I was talking about. You can reach it through my blog...it is called "Cookin with the Chicks". Check it out. Thanks for all your help. Oh, and yes I do have a scanner and my daughter in law, Janna is here and maybe she can help me to scan the photos. i will let you know. Claudine
ReplyDeleteDeanna, I think aprons are sort fo a thing of the past. It seem like they were alwalys worn by my grandmas and even mom, but you don't see them too much anymore. Thanks to my wonderful mom--we made some together this weekend.(she did most of the makin) They turned out soo cute, I am going to give 2 of them to two of my very good friends and fellow chicks.(refer to my mom's comment about the cookin with the chicks blog). I enjoy reading your thoughts and thanks for your sense of humor. I love it!
ReplyDelete