Friday, February 20, 2009

Hoggin’ up the road on my p-p-p-p-plower Chug a lug a luggin’ 5 miles an hour On my International Harvester--craig morgan




The purpose of my blog is to record memories of my growing up years in New Harmony. I have so many fond memories of this wonderful place that I could go on forever and ever. I can't think of New Harmony, without seeing my Dad, Vivian Prince on a tractor, and if Dad was on a tractor, he was whistling a song.

The tractor was used for many things, if only it could talk. For instance, one time Mama got the car cross- wise in the garage--thanks to slick roads. She would give up drinking coffee if Heavenly Father would just help her get that car out of the garage. He did! Dad came along, looked at the situation (and Mama's tears), put a chain on the car attached it to the tractor and in minutes had that car where and how it was supposed to be. Memories of a tractor would not be complete without me thinking of the hours Daddy used it to do farm work, and me sitting with him or even behind him on the baler. My job was to make sure the bales of hay did not break as
They fell from the baler.

As children, there wasn’t a winter in New Harmony without a breathe-taking ride on a sleigh that was being pulled by the tractor. I can still feel the snow blowing in my face as we held on for dear life riding up towards the Flat. Or just think of the 100s of apples that were hauled to the apple house on that old International tractor. My brothers may not agree with this being a fond memory, but none the less, it is a memory. The years rolled by, and Dad still used the tractor for various things, but now he also hauled his grandchildren.

I can't help but wonder how many people Dad give food to, after he plowed the garden and planted enough food to feed all of Washington County. How I miss my Dad, but I am so thankful for the memories I have of him......
Chug a lug a luggin’ 5 miles an hour
On his International Harvester.

Grandpa Vivian Prince, Kevin, Steve and
Anngela Groke about 1983

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lets start over.....Your dad has drove that old tractor about a million miles through the fields of New Harmony. That tractor has plowed fields, pulled trailers for hauling hay and was the power that moved hundreds of thousands of apples out of the orchard. I miss your dad, his wit and would give anything to spend five more minutes with Uncle Biff

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful blog, Deanna. And a wonderful gift to your children and grandchildren. (I'm totally enjoying it too :)
    Love,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete